Wednesday, May 03, 2006

BBQ, Backyards and Kids


I sat in my kitchen last evening and stared out into my soon to be marvelous backyard. As I sipped a homemade beer and watched the rain puddle in the dips of my dirt lawn I was overcome with envy. Envy for all that people in the world who are smarter than me with green grass lawns, patios made of more then crushed gravel, and BBQ pits ready to go for the season. I began to think that I have bitten off a bit more than I can chew.

Let me give you some insight into my little world. Every two year old boy needs a backyard to play in. That backyard could be Harold Parker State Forest, Boston Common or Arcadia National Park. In my world however, my bride felt the need to turn our backyard into what could appear to be any of these places in the eyes if a two year old. I really shouldn’t place blame on my lovely wife, but she knows how I am. She knows I am never happy with anything less than extraordinary. She also knows that bringing me to a store that specializes exclusively in the creation of children’s play sets is not a spectacular idea. Inevitably we would leave with the biggest play set my wallet could carry and that’s just what happened. I forgot who the play set was for and I got carried away as usual. We ended up buying a recreational apparatus (swing set is no longer an applicable term) that needs a 27 by 30 square foot level area to call home. Did I mention level? My backyard is not level or should I say was not level.

As if all of this is not bad enough. I wasn’t happy with bringing in two ten wheel dump trucks of crushed gavel for the base and two more of river rock to go on top of that to create a kid friendly play surface. No, not me, I needed to have two patios dug in. One for each side of my deck, you know a nice sitting area and (this is the part where BBQ fits in) my very own outdoor kitchen. Yes that’s right a special home for my BBQ pit, water smoker and kettle grill. Every pit master’s dream is now my nightmare.

Now, don’t be mistaken. I am not a wealthy man and my version of an outdoor cooking area is much grander that my wife or wallet will let me have. There will be no stone countertops, running water or outdoor refrigerator. The brick oven and fireplace are down the street at my parent’s neighbor’s house. Bobby Flay will never be envious of me. My yard’s culinary corner will be just that, a cooking corner. It will probably take me two or three years to make it look like anything resembling a kitchen. When all is said and done I will have a 12’ by 12’ stone patio with a small bar that will double as a prep table. That will be all for this season. It will be just enough room for my three favorite lawn ornaments and maybe a small fire pit from Target.

I think I have lost my point. In fact, I have no idea what the original intentions of the post were. I have figured out one thing. When I do finally get the chance to cook in my backyard again I will be able to look out over the BBQ pit and watch my son playing on his new play set. I know that when he is older all of his friends will want to hang out at our house. I know about a ½ hour ago I was freaking out about all the work that I have to do in the backyard. I was complaining because I can’t afford to build Kitchen Stadium. I was complaining because I am not going be able to have a family BBQ for at least one month. I was complaining because I have a backyard, a son and a loving wife.

Wow am I selfish. I don’t have any right or reason to complain…

Jonathan

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Who doesn't complain about their loving wives and children. Or owning a house, the American Dream.

Chris (My Blog)

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home