Saturday, May 06, 2006

Southwestern Grilled Flank Steak with Fiery Apple BBQ Sauce

I was at class the other night and during dinner break we got to talking about household responsibilities. Well some of us were talking and others were complaining. Personally, I never complain- I just feel lucky to have met someone foolish enough to marry me (I guess my beautiful bride didn't wear a helmet as a child either). In my home we share the majority of the work (Nicole actually does a fair bit more than me). There are however two cardinal rules that exist within our happy abode if either is ever broken severe civil strife will soon follow. I am never, under any circumstance, to touch the checkbook and Nicole, no matter how hungry, is forbidden to cook anything other than French toast, pancakes and the occasional omelet... Our discussion revolved around the usual domestic duties that we all find so dreadfully daunting. Banter relating to yard work and housework and the gender responsibilities for each overshadowed the majority of our time. The conversationn was actualy quite calm; until Dave stopped the dialogue dead in its tracks with a statement that could get a man flogged in the city of Cambridge, Massachusetts "Men don't cook they BBQ. Women cook, right Jon" he said with a smile. His attempt to blame me for this enormously erroneous comment thankfully backfired, albeit this gave me a much desired opportunity to add my two cents it was nonetheless very uncomfortable.

Finally, as with all conversations that I am involved in, the topics of cooking and BBQ surfaced. My friends all looked at me, rolled their eyes and waited for me to chime in. They know how much I love to talk about how I cook for my wife every night and how Nicole would only eat cereal if it weren't for me. Not wanting to disappoint I proceeded to preach about how BBQ is not just cooking and how anyone can barbeque as long as they keep it simple. The usual ration of grief from my more traditionally minded companions soon ensued.

Thankfully, by this time our dinner hour had come to end and I was finally allowed to take my head out of the smoker. I did however promise the group I would post two of my wife's favorite recipes. The first is braised artichokes, but since this recipe is best accompanied by pictures I will share it at a later date. Today I will leave you her favorite recipe for fiery grilled flank steak (London broil, skirt steak etc.). Actually, I don't think it is the steak as much as it is the marinade and BBQ sauce she enjoys.

The Meat
1.5 to 2 pound piece of flank or skirt steak or London broil

The Marinade
3 or 4 Key Limes
Zest of 1+++ Lime
¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 tbs Sesame Oil (this is my secret and may be omitted-- and will be removed from this post very soon)
A Handful of Fresh Chopped Cilantro
One Bottle of Your Falagere Lagar Beer
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
½++ tsp Ground Cumin
½ ++ tsp Chipotle Powder
½ ++tsp Garlic Powder
½++++tsp Hot Paprika
1 Cup Chopped Red Onion (any onion will do I like red)
3, 4, or 5 Cloves of Smashed Garlic
2 or 3 Bay Leaves
1 Shot of Jack Daniel's (another secret, optional)
A Couple Shots of Hot Pepper Sauce (use a real pepper sauce, not one that is just about heat or made from purely extracts)

Mix all ingredients together in a 1 gallon zip lock type bag. Add meat, squeeze out as much air as possible (over the sink, trust me). And put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, I recommend over night.

The BBQ Sauce (I adapted this recipe from recipegal.com-- Great Sauce! Great Site! My version is here, the original is not spicy)

1 Cup Ketchup
¼ Cup Apple Cider
¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
¼ Cup Soy Sauce
¾ tsp Garlic Powder
¾ tsp White Pepper
½ tsp Chipotle Pepper
¾ Cup Apple Peeled & Grated
¼ Cup Grated Red Onion
2 tsp Grated Hot Chili Pepper (I use Habanero for the guys/ Jalapeno for the family)
Peri Peri Hot Sauce to taste (I like African Rhino, Hot)

Mix all ingredients in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. If the sauce is too thick add beer or beef stock until it reaches the desired consistency. If too thin reduce until desired consistency. Most of these style sauces will keep for up to a week in the refrigerators.

How to Grill (Barbecuing is not grilling)

Remove meat from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.
Light the grill. I only cook over gas when I am at Gillette Stadium on all other occasions I use lump charcoal.
Preheat for 15 minutes-- get the grill as hot as possible.
Place meat directly on the grill and cover for 4 minutes
Turn meat over and cook 4 more minutes
Brush with BBQ sauce, turn over, brush other side and cook for 2 more minutes
Brush steak again, turn over, brush other side and cook for 2 minutes
COOKING TIMES WILL VARY DEPENDING ON DISIRED DONENESS!!!
Brush both sides one more time with BBQ sauce and remove from grill
Cover with foil tent and let rest for 10 minutes
Slice thin, against the grain and on the diagnal
Serve with Fiery Apple BBQ sauce

Next time I'll take picture--- Enjoy, The Ugly Gourmet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That would go perfect with a nice ice cream cake.

Chris (My Blog)

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home