Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Magic Monster Flaming (Buffalo) Wings.

Did you ever notice how life sometimes gets in the way of living? The past few months have kept me out of the kitchen, away from the BBQ and unable to Eat Ugly. I am realizing now, with winter approaching, just how much I miss cooking and writing. The days are getting shorter and the temperatures are dropping. New England is not the ideal place for year round BBQ. Although a little snow has never stopped me from firing up the pit; it does make things a little more difficult. With the cold weather I tend to crave one pot meals. Chili, stew, pot roast and braised beef are always much tastier in the autumn months. Unfortunately, I am not quite ready for these foods. I need BBQ now. Not BBQ from a restaurant; BBQ from my own backyard.

I have been obsessing about how to BBQ on a week night. I am usually unable to get home from work until 3:00 on early days and there is no way Anthony or my bride will wait the six or so hours it takes me to whip up some chicken and ribs. Plus by the time Anthony I travel to and from the meat mongers it would be at least 4:30. Between car seats, trying to explain to the young person behind the counter what I want, and having the real butcher finally recognize me (only to give me grief for buying my meat at the wholesale club) it will be closer to dusk. I am in quite a pickle as Anthony often tries to say. Then, out of no where a bolt of BBQ genius struck from the heavens. It was as if the BBQ muses themselves traveled from Olympus to guide me through my midweek barbecuing dilemma. “What about parking lot BBQ” I chuckled aloud and shook my fists at the clouds like Dr. Frankenstein in triumph.

I dug out my faithful and secret tailgating journal. Ok, it’s a collection of bar napkins and flaps of Sam Adam’s boxes with my favorite football recipes scribbled on them. Some day it will be a book, but for now it’s just my private little collection of BBQ goodness. I began to recall a monster experiment we conduct a few years back with November’s favorite fowl. A staple at all of our tailgating opportunities is always Buffalo wings. A few years ago, around Thanksgiving, I decide (I am sure I was not the first person to think of it, in fact I vaguely recall Bobby Flay in a stadium parking lot somewhere…) to use turkey wings instead of chicken wings to make the spicy snacks. Anyway, why not use a similar method to make some quick week night BBQ. I also just received two new tasty product samples that are begging for the care and nurturing only my smoker can provide.

The prior might just the best thing about owning a website that specializes in BBQ and fiery foods. I have an endless supply of sauces, spices and rubs at my chubby little fingertips. When I don’t have the time or desire to mix up my own I just hit the stock room, the perfect situation for speedy weeknight fare. Anyway, I am starting to “boar” myself, so let me just get to the recipe for my Magic Monster Flaming Fowl Wings.

This recipe combines the best of both worlds as it exists somewhere between grilling, indirect cooking and barbecuing. These mammoth Buffalo wings take about an hour and half from grill to table and manage to pick up a great amount of smoke for such a short time. Plus once they are on the grill they only have to be tended to 3 or 4 times. They practically cook themselves. What is sacrificed is the tenderness that usually comes with true BBQ, but this a small price to pay for flavor that rivals greatness.

Ingredients:

Before I even think about starting the coal and prepping the grill I remove the meat from the refrigerator and season it. For these wings I used The Hog’s Tuxedo rub. I rub it only liberally and let it sit in the excess until the grill is ready. Once the turkey wings are properly seasoned I head out to get my Weber kettle started. Oh, reserve the sauce for the last 15 minutes of cooking.

The Grill:

  • 1 full chimney of lump charcoal (briquettes work, but don’t provide the same heat)
  • 2++ large handfuls of dry apple wood chips or 3++ chunks (or your favorite smoking wood)

Once the coal is ready pour/pile it on the left (or right) side of the grill. Add the dry apple wood chips directly to the hot coals. Place the cooking grate back down and place the turkey legs as far away for the heat as possible. Cover the grill making sure the air vents are over the wings.

The Process:

Let the wings cook for about 40 minutes. There is no need to peak or even touch the grill during this time. Cook for about 40 minutes, turn the wings over, cover and cook for another 20 minutes. At the end of the hour brush on a good amount of BBQ sauce, cover, and cook for about 10 more minutes. Turn the wings over, brush again with BBQ sauce, cover and cook for the final 10 minutes. The wings should be done, but I always check the temperature (170˚) when working with poultry. Remove the savory snacks from the heat, let rest for 10 minutes and serve with a sprinkle of rub and the remaining sauce on the side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home