Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Smokey Grilled Oysters

Wow, I didn’t realize how long I was away. Please allow me to apologize for my unexpected hiatus. However, I did have some time to think about all the things I was going to grill when I returned to my kitchen. The list was surprisingly small, mostly grilled seafood, considering I have recently developed this unquenchable obsession with oysters. Being from New England I have a great fondness for grilled seafood. I know in terms of real BBQ this is not the ideal, but fresh fish grilled over hardwood coals makes for some great grilled goodies.

One of my favorite foods to grill or not grill is the oyster. It is a rare occasion that I will cook an oyster, but it is always a party when I do. In my travels I have come across hundreds of different recipes some unwittingly complicated and others spectacularly simple. Since I am a fan of all things simple and oysters are never better than when they are prepared simply here is my take on grilling these tasty treats.

Smokey Grilled Oysters
Oysters (as many as will fit on your grill)
Large Handful of Soaked Alder Wood Chips
*I like to use more subtle woods when I smoke seafood, especially oysters.

SCRUB THE OYSTERS WELL UNDER COLD WATER AND DISCARD ANY THAT ARE OPEN.

Heat the grill to high. Toss on the soaked wood chips. Dip the oysters in water (I learned this trick from Bobby Flay he says it helps them to steam open.) and place them with the flattest side of the shell up directly on the grill. Close the lid and cook for about 6 minutes or until all of the oysters are open. Discard any that don’t open. Be careful not to spill any of the liquor when you remove them. Cut the muscle that connects the shell and serve on the half shell.

These are not really smoked oysters; as there will only be hint of smokiness in background of their flavor. For more authentic smoked oysters grill over medium heat (about 250°) until they open, remove the top shell, add more soaked hardwood to the coal and smoke for an additional 10-15 minutes. Watch them carefully they will overcook right before you eyes. Use a heavier flavored wood for this and you’ll have an entirely different oyster experience.

Toppings….
In my world there are 2 aspects involved in serving outstanding oysters. Cooking or not cooking them and topping them. Fresh out of the shell or properly grilled they often need nothing more than a smile to make them perfect. It is, however, always fun to find new way to top these prized crustaceans. For the batch pictured below I simply remove the top shell added a squeeze of lemon and a small pat of unsalted butter and returned them to the heat just long enough to melt the butter. I wish my vocabulary allowed my to explain just how amazingly succulent and tasteful these pacific beauties were. I am lucky they lasted long enough to take this picture. Let's just say not one made it to the table, my wife and I ate 2 dozen oysters standing next to the stairs leading down to our patio table. Anyway if lemon and butter bores you I have provided an abbreviated list of some of my favorite flavors for topping oysters.

A Few of My Favorite Toppings...
Dijon Mustard
Horseradish
Hot Sauce
Lemon
Lime
Malt Vinegar
Margarita Mignonette (minced shallots, fresh lime juice and tequila)
Melted Butter
Mignonette sauce (traditionally minced shallot and red wine vinegar, but I like to use balsamic)
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
Crumbled Blue Cheese

* Mignonette Sauce is made with 2 tablespoons of liquid for every one shallot

Eat hot, Eat healthy (most of the time) and always EAT UGLY!

PS. I didn’t forget. This weekend I plan to try another brand of lump charcoal…ribs and chicken anyone?

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yum! I think I just spooged!

Chris (My Blog)

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home