Friday, May 19, 2006

The Coal Wars: Hank Hill vs the Ugly Gourmet!

Do you think Charcoal is really better than gas? I am often asked this question by people who don’t know me or have never been to my home for a BBQ. The asker of this much debated BBQ riddle usually already has an answer. They just want an “expert” opinion. Before I continue I feel I must make the following point very clear and offer this disclaimer, to anyone who may stumble upon my humble blog. Although I have hundreds of ideas about BBQ, grilling and outdoor cooking and have this unfounded need to write this BBQ blog, I am far from an expert. I just know what I like. I barbecue large quantities of meat as often as possible with no regard for who is going to be around to eat it. Don’t be alarmed the food never goes to waste. I deliver it to friends and neighbors and bring to work. It is not difficult to find people to eat BBQ, especially when it’s free. Anyway, because of popular demand (my world is small and popularity is relative) I will attempt to decipher the age old riddle of gas or charcoal.

First of all, I believe that this question only applies to what I like to call east coast BBQ or grilling. True BBQ requires the use of hardwoods and by modern convenience charcoal. Gas is shunned by the majority of BBQ gurus and its use is forbidden in BBQ competitions. Yes I am still trying to muster up the confidence to put a BBQ team together and try my luck at a NEBS cook-off. There are gas and electric power BBQ pit smokers on the market. Some burn pellets to create the smoke others are actually set up to burn wood chunks or chips. Gas is mainly used when grilling and this is where many people make the common mistake that grilling is the same as BBQ; IT IS NOT. Anyway, let me get to the question at hand—I will save the grilling versus BBQ debate for a different time.

Second, there are really three different solutions to this riddle. Each in its own right is sound, reasonable and acceptable:
  • Gas requires little effort, heats up quickly and requires virtually no clean up. Sticking to the idea of keeping it simple, gas would seem to me the easiest way to go. In the long run gas is less expensive and offers greater control of heat intensity and level. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal requiring minimal effort or a trip to Gillette Stadium. Arrive home from work, light the grill, throw on a few seasoned chicken breasts some fresh zucchini, and a tinfoil package of thin sliced seasoned potatoes (those of you who are carb-conscious can skip the starch) and in less than thirty minutes you have a healthy meal. Better yet, no pots and pans to clean.

  • Charcoal requires a bit more effort, but is still easy. It appeals to the purest, creates a sense of tradition and imparts a wonderful smoked flavor to the food. You will never have to guess about how much is left and you can buy it at almost anywhere. The 24 hour pharmacy in my neighborhood doesn’t refill propane tanks, but they do sell coal. With no need to store a gas tank or run a gas line outside of your home. Some feel charcoal offers a sense of safety. Arrive home from work and start your coal chimney (I am a firm believer in this tool). While the coal is starting prepare your meal (I love blackened sword fish grilled over coal) and find a cold beer. Grab you food and beer, head outside and dump your chimney into the grill. Drink your beer while waiting for the grill to come up to temperature and throw on your seasoned swordfish and vegetables. The fish will be done in about fifteen minutes and you’ll a have another tasty and healthy meal; again no pots or pans to clean.

  • Why not both? Gas is quick and to the point and is great when you’re in a hurry and don’t want to expend the extra effort midweek. Charcoal offers a more traditional grilling experience and produces flavors that gas just can’t create. To be fair some “experts” say they can taste no difference between gas and charcoal. Whether the taste is perceived or actual I notice a difference. Gas depends entirely on the flavor of the seasonings, rubs and marinades and imparts no added flavor the food. Charcoal enhances and works with the food adding a smoky almost game like essence to the taste. Remember both mean no pots, pans or kitchen to clean.

Finally, each heat source has its own benefits and faults. It really comes down to personal preference. What do you like? Are you barbecuing or grilling? What is easier for you? What are you most comfortable using? I am a purest and love cooking over charcoal especially hardwood charcoal. I also am all about making my life easier and enjoying every moment. For me the answer is both. When I am at Gillette Stadium and want to keep things quick and simple I use gas, propane to be exact. When I’m at home I only use charcoal. I have in the past used a gas grill at home, but over the past couple of years grilling, barbecue and cooking have become, for me, more about the ritual than the convenience. Forget about what the experts and professionals say. Think about what you like, what makes your life easier and what is most important to you. My grandmother taught me early in life to eat the foods I like, use the ingredients I can easily get and cook the way that I am most comfortable.

If you’re outside watching your son playing on his swing set and dog running around the yard as you share a glass of wine with your bride and cook dinner, does it really matter if you are using gas or charcoal? Just a little perspective to close; charcoal takes longer which means more wine or more whine—gas has its place.

PS. It pains me greatly to attach myself in anyway to FOX TV, but I imagine Hank Hill may be the only intellect with which I am equally matched on the this topic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Comparing yourself to Hank Hill? That's not saying much. And shame on you for honing in on my Fox monopoly.

Chris (My Blog)

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home