Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Nature of Food


If you live anywhere in or around Boston you have probably noticed that is has been raining since Monday night. My son has spent the last three days staring out his bedroom window at his brand new swing set. He is pictured to the left in this season’s latest chef's apparel. His expression reminds me of how Ralphi probably felt when came down the stairs in the pink bunny costume his aunt made for him in the movie A Christmas Story. Bruce the Ugly Pug is curled up in his bed in a deep depression fearing his next trip out to the bathroom. I think I may have heard the tip-toeing of his little paws coming out of the bathroom after the toilet flushed late last night. My wife just stares outside wishing for her house to be quiet again. I find myself repeatedly exclaiming "I just want to BBQ", every time I notice my BBQ pit sitting alone in the backyard. Anyway, because of all the rain I have found time to catch up on some grading and lesson plans, write a paper for school, build a pillow fort with Anthony and blog hop.

Last night I came across a great little local blog called Curiosity Killed the Cook. There is something wonderfully comforting about this spot. I don’t know if it is the recipes from around the globe or the little stories that accompany them. What ever it is it goes beyond just cooking and eating and gets to the heart of what food is really about (read “Why the Blog” and hopefully you will understand). For me food has always been about the adventure of trying new things, experiencing different traditions and cultures, and most importantly spending time with family and friends. Food brings friends as well as strangers together to celebrate, grieve, share and laugh. Food is at the center of every person’s life. I revive the happiest memories of my life when I cook and eat certain dishes. My favorite part of the day is making dinner for my family. Knowing that my food brings us together at the end a day and helps us to become a stronger family makes me content in my world. Tonight, when Anthony and I cook dinner (yes, my two year old cooks dinner with me almost every night) I will teach him a new recipe. I’ll call it ugly bananas (really called Arbuan Bananas) and tell him that I learned it from a kindhearted stranger who enjoys ugly food too.

Eat Hot, Eat Healthy and Always Eat Ugly…. The Ugly Gourmet!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Janice thinks your sweet, but I think you're kinda girly.

Chris (My Blog)

9:56 PM  
Blogger SgtMajor said...

nice and creative.
I like to eat the hot the delicious, but I wont eat ugly.
happy eating ( healthy food of course )ss

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home