Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Coal Wars: I Thought Diamonds Were Expensive

In my search for local stores that carry lump charcoal I have come across products brought to market by Whole foods, Williams Sonoma, and Wild Oats. According to the Naked Whiz’s data base the first two are produced by Cowboy and It appears the third follows suit. I have not found evidence to support my Wild Oats theory and I don’t plan on looking for it, but at first glance and use my theory seems sound.

It is proving very difficult to find lump charcoal locally. It seems that Cowboy dominates the market. Some specialty stores carry Wicked Good Weekend Warrior blend and would usually stock the Competition Blend, but there is a production stop. It seems that the woods used in the Competition Blend are no longer available and the company is working in a new version. I can hardly wait to see what they come up considering the WWB is phenomenal. Anyway, as soon as the new blend is available I will let you know.

Finally, I have had to turn to the internet to further my research. I know that those of you in the middle and southern parts of the country have access to a much wider variety of lump that those of us in the northeast, but I need an excuse to keep cooking. So, in the best interest of my readers I have ordered a couple bags of Royal Oak Natural Wood Lump Charcoal. It has a good review from the Naked Whiz, seems to have a loyal following and most importantly was the easiest to order.

I am finding it more difficult than I like to even purchase lump on the web. Plus the cost is really prohibitive; I am paying more to ship than the product is worth. I am often able to justify even the most ludicrous expenses, but even this is a stretch for me. Especially when I have fairly easy access to Wick Good Charcoal, but we will see what the future has in store.

If it doesn’t rain again this weekend I plan to fire up the pit. Mother Nature has been wreaking havoc in my neck of the woods. It has rained over the past two weekends and rumor has it we are in for the same this weekend. I don’t know how much longer I can go with out the smell of smoke at 7 in the morning.

Eat hot, eat healthy (most of the time) and always eat ugly… UG

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I only understood like half of that.

Chris (My Blog)

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home