Friday, February 16, 2007

Every BBQ Needs Dessert...

What do you say when some asks what they can bring to your BBQ? My first reply is always beer. In fact, my second reply is usually beer and then when the third and fourth person ask I remember that I don't bake and ask them to bring dessert. A good BBQ always needs a tasty treat to finish things off and since I have yet to figure out how to barbecue a chocolate cake I more often that not need someone to bring it to my party. I have never had much interest in baking, the actual process that is, I am quite fond of eating baked goods. And just for the record I can make a mean habanero pecan pie. However, when I host a backyard BBQ or plan a tailgate party I always leave dessert up to someone else. Today’s tailgate contest recipe comes from one of my more “sensitive” friends. He is really a good guy. He would just rather bake than BBQ. His recipe for "Liberry short cake follows. Enjoy!

“Liberry” Cake...

INGREDIENTS: In the rare case that you are unble to find liberries, strawberries work fine.

The Filling:

  • 1 quart strawberries, rinsed, hulled, sliced
  • 1/3 cup sugar
The Short cake:
  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • melted butter
  • whipped cream, sweetened with a little sugar if desired

PREPARATION:

Place strawberries in a large bowl; sprinkle with 1/3 cup of sugar. Let stand, covered, for at least 1 hour before serving.

Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture is fine.

Add milk; stir with a fork until all flour is moist. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently for 20 seconds. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Gently roll out or pat each portion to fit a 9-inch round cake pan. Place each portion into a lightly buttered pan; press edges to form a slight ridge. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 450° for 12 to 15 minutes. Brush each layer with butter. Spoon sweetened strawberries and juice between layers and on the top. Serve warm, cut in wedges, with whipped cream. Serves 10, (or two Social Studies Teachers on their prep)

If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home